A small town of the Risorgimento
Located largely on the right bank of the Mincio river, the town owes its name to a Gothic settlement in the 5th–6th century AD, this settlement probably being built over a pre-existing Roman settlement as the Via Postumia used to pass through here. The area was also inhabited in the Lombard period and continued to evolve in the Medieval era, but was to then enjoy considerable urban development and construction under Ludovico Gonzaga
In 1848, during the first War of Independence, Goito was the scene of the Sardinian army’s first battle against the Austrians. Goito also played a leading role in the second and third war of independence, which earned it the nickname of the “small town of the Risorgimento”. The only testimonies to its long history are the castle’s medieval tower, the square and the remains of the walls, eighteenth-century villas such as La Giraffa, and the neoclassical Villa Moschini, which formerly belonged to the counts of Arco. The marquises of Arco also used to own the Bertone garden park (which is currently owned by the Fondazione d’Arco [D’Arco Foundation] and is managed by Mincio Park).
33 m s.l.m.
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!