IN THE HEART OF THE MORAINIC AMPHITHEATRE
Overlooking the Mincio Valley, Volta Mantovana stretches out from the foot of its medieval castle. Findings of the 5th–6th century BC suggest that the area was already occupied during the Iron Age. It is assumed that the castle is of early medieval foundation, but it certainly existed at the end of the 10th century when it became part of the Canossa defensive system, and it reached its final arrangement in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Palazzo Gonzaga also dates back to the mid-15th century, built close to the walls by the Marquises of Mantua Ludovico Gonzaga and Barbara of Brandenburg as a country villa. In 1515 it was given to the Guerrieri family, vicegerents in Volta of the aforementioned Gonzaga family. They had the task of controlling and administering the whole area on behalf of the lords of Mantua. The complex of villa-palace, towers and walls which rises on the slopes of the hill is a very evocative one: we are in the heart of Mantua’s Chiantishire, in the area of the Mincio Regional Park’s protected zone.
33 m s.l.m.
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!